Plastic wrap is convenient, inexpensive and deeply ingrained as the way to cover and store food. According to Earth911.com, “we use enough plastic wrap every year to shrink-wrap the entire state of Texas.” Yikes! Plastic wrap is also non-biodegradable, rarely recycled, a derivative of petroleum, and can leach chemicals into the food especially when heated. With a little knowledge and some imagination, you can cover and store your food far more safely and just as conveniently without plastic. Here are some ideas:
- Glass storage containers like Pyrex, which are stackable, sturdy and microwave safe are a good solution. You can buy them new at any kitchen or home goods store, or take a trip down memory lane and look for the colored pyrex dishes from the 1950’s found at flea markets or consignment shops.
- Reusable silicone lids that fit most bowls are another good solution. They are 100% airtight and are dishwasher and microwave safe. They come in a variety of sizes and are even sold in the shape of lily pads. You can find them at most kitchen shops.
- Bee’s Wrap is a clever new product made from organic cotton muslin infused with beeswax, jojoba oil and tree resin. The anti-bacterial properties of beeswax and jojoba oil keep the food fresh and allow the wraps to be used over and over. Bee’s Wrap comes in 5 sizes and can be found at most specialty kitchen stores or on line.
- If you need to cover food after preparing but before serving, why not simply place a dishcloth over it? No need to waste plastic wrap.
- When transporting a salad or a dish to a friend’s house, cover the bowl with a lovely dinner plate. It makes a much more impressive presentation than plastic wrap!
The challenge is breaking the plastic wrap habit! It’s easy if you remember that food and plastic don’t go together. I’d love to know your ideas for alternatives to plastic wrap. Email me!
For more green living tips, visit greenwithbetsy.com.
Some information compiled from http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401234/Is-Plastic-Wrap-Safe.html, earth911.com.