One of my readers sent me a write-up about the secret of frozen lemons. Rather than just using the lemon juice and wasting the rest of this nutrient-rich fruit, freeze it. Wash it first and once frozen, grate the unpeeled lemon and add it to salads, soups, stews, ice cream, cookie dough, chicken and fish dishes, rice, martinis, whatever, for much added nutrition and taste. What a great idea!
We all know that lemons are chock full of Vitamin C, which helps to neutralize free radicals linked to aging and most types of disease, as well as fight colds and flu. But did you know that lemons contain more health benefitting nutrients than other citrus fruits like oranges or tangerines? They contain citric acid, flavonoids, B-complex vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and fiber. Surprisingly, the lemon peel contains as much as 5 to 10 times more vitamins than the lemon juice. Below is a list of some of the many benefits of this powerful and flavorful little fruit:
- Lemons contain more potassium than apples or grapes.
- Lemons help restore balance to the body’s pH even though they are acidic.
- Lemons help detoxify the liver and improve regularity. A large glass of water with fresh lemon juice is an important way to start the day.
- The citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
- The lemon peel contains the potent phytonutrient tangeretin, which has been proven to be effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease.
- Lemons have powerful antibacterial properties; experiments have found the juice of lemons destroy the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other deadly diseases. They can also destroy intestinal worms.
- The Vitamin P (bioflavonoid) in lemons strengthens blood vessels and is useful in treating high blood pressure.
- Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds, including naturally occurring limonene, which studies have shown slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors in animals.
As we make our way through what is being reported as a severe cold and flu season, throw a couple of lemons into the freezer and “grate” your way to good health!